The Twilight Concert Series is in full swing, and it’s my favorite time of the year, for the following (and many more) reasons:
· THE WEATHER: The concerts go from 7:00 – 10:00, and knock on wood, I haven’t been rained out yet. The temperature at that time of night is perfect, and it’s truly addicting to listen to live music while watching the sun set over the city.
· THE FASHION: The best (and WORST) of the SLC indie-hipsters come out wearing their Thursday best. Because Gallivan is the place to see and be scene (yes I misspelled that on purpose), you know that everyone is saving their best outfit of the week for Thursday. Sadly for some of them, their best is not enough. I’ve been tempted to bring my digital camera and snap photos of the best and worst offenders and blog about them……it really is great people-watching and fashion-watching. The prize winner last week was a 19 year-old-looking girl in a royal blue, strapless shorts romper, gladiator sandals with straps all the way up to her knees, and a Mischa Barton-style leather headband worn like a bandana, around the forehead. Here is my best attempt at the most accurate composite sketch of her outift:
Honey, please, limit yourself to one annoying overly-trendy trend at a time. You will thank me later.
· THE PRICE: FREE! Such an affordable admission price leads me to my next reason for loving Gallivan….
· THE BEER: Uinta Beers on tap! Sure, they are a pricey at $5 (or $6) per cup, but when you aren’t paying for a ticket, it makes buying a beer or two much more affordable.
· THE NOSTALGIA: Gallivan shows remind me of Skyline High School football games. At Skyline, EVERYONE went to the games, even if they didn’t like football. About 70% of the attendees wouldn’t even sit in the bleachers or watch the game, but would instead congregate on the track by the end zone in a giant cluster of gossip and “hangin’ out.” At Gallivan, EVERYONE goes to the show, even if they don’t know or like the band. And about 70% of the attendees don’t even watch the show, but instead congregate by the beer tents, on the plaza, or on a grassy knoll somewhere, chit chatting through the whole set.
Now. What about THE MUSIC, you ask? Therein lies the aforementioned conundrum. You would think that I would be ecstatic about this year’s lineup: Bon Iver, Jenny Lewis, M. Ward, Q-tip, Sonic Youth, Iron & Wine, and THE BLACK KEYS. But the truth is, I would rather see all of those bands play in a club or venue-type setting, rather than an outdoor free-for-all that is more about the social scene than the music. Last week, I barely saw 3 Jenny Lewis numbers and couldn’t hear or see a smidgeon of Bon Iver, because the crowd was so massive and impenetrable. The bands I don’t really know intimately well or care for? BRING IT ON, Gallivan is the perfect venue. But the bands I love? Kind of a bummer to have to see them at Gallivan.
Thusly, even though I get to go see ONE OF MY FAVORITE BANDS for free on Thursday, it is with a heavy heart and a conflicted soul that I will walk to the show, fight my way through copious amounts of annoying people, and push my way to the front-ish to enjoy some delicious blues. Viva la Black Keys! I like the photo of them below, cause I'm pretty sure they're using fry sauce, a Utah original.
PS-Skyline High School football rules! 4-peat!
2 comments:
Carly,
I just saw on the news last night that the city plans on doing a huge re-do of the Gallivan center! Here's the dish, if you're interested:
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/705316866/Big-decisions-for-downtown-SL.html
(Just copy/paste it into your browser.) Make sure you click on the picture, as it will enlarge and you'll be so HAPPY to see what's coming!! :)
I'm so glad you sent that! I want the re-do to be finished NOW. Seriously, last night was fun, but would've been much better with more room for people to watch the band. This is an excellent plan for Gallivan...
Post a Comment