Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Bountiful: The Brooklyn of Salt Lake City

The only two houses we've found that we like well enough to make an offer on have been in BOUNTIFUL. Sacreligious, I know. I'm a downtown girl. I walk to work every day. I've lived in or near the heart of the city for the past six years...and spent the 22 years prior to that within the Salt Lake Valley. But, APD (as previously discussed), city living definitely has its cons. And suburbia has its pros, the main one being: cheaper real estate.

It's like I'm a Manhattan girl, and you're asking me to move to BROOKLYN--exactly the debate Miranda faced in the 6th season of Sex and the City. Life as she knew it would cease if she had to cross a BRIDGE to get anywhere.
However, I've spent a fair amount of time in Brooklyn, and I actually love it. If I were to move to NYC today, I'm 99% sure I would end up somewhere like Williamsburg, rather than in the City. It's only a 15 minute subway ride to Midtown, that's totally bearable. I could do Brooklyn.
Similarly for me, Bountiful would only mean a 10-15 minute commute. That should be totally bearable. Unfortunately, I'm an East Side girl, and short or long commute, I just simply don't like the fact that I'll have to say "Bountiful" instead of "a townhouse right by Gateway" when people ask me, "So where do you live?" I'm a snob.
Some call Brooklyn "the new Manhattan"...so could I convince myself that Bountiful is "the new Sugarhouse" or "the new Avenues?" I'm trying very, very hard to do just that.
A Google image search of 'bountiful' yields a vast array of results. Some are more promising than others:





I'll let you know how it turns out. In the meantime, tell everyone you know that Bountiful is the new black!

1 comment:

Adrie Peterson said...

Carly,
I'm SO laughing right now! This post is F A B U L O U S, dahling! You are SO right...Bountiful really is the "New Black". I love this post, I can't stop gushing. I really, REALLY want you to move up north, and SOON! Please?! Thank you!