Friday, November 14, 2008

We one.

This election has been historic and monumental. Controversial and surreal. Both a kick in the pants and a pain in the ass. It's caused some tension among family and friends for me personally, and I continue to hear stories daily about other ridiculous and awesome reactions worldwide. Case in point: today's X96 boner of the day. A Catholic leader in the dirty South apparently wouldn't allow his congregation to take holy communion if they voted for Obama--pardon me, Barack Hussein Obama.

I spent election day working. After voting early (and waiting an hour in line to do so), I was impatient to see the returns. I went to my UAF board meeting at the end of the day and found the table crowded with lapels full of I Voted and Obama stickers. We even had a special visitor, he's standing in the back:

After that, we headed over to Club Bricks In The Sound Venue (yes, that's their official name now) for an election night bash thrown by the Utah for Obama people. Mason had a table set up, selling prints of his Obama portrait series, and it turned out to be the perfect place to ring in the new era.

We were joined by family and friends and, as cheesy as it sounds, we all stood there, craning our necks up at the big screen, listening to our next President speak....embracing each other. I'll fully admit it, I was brought to tears. Even in saying so however, I don't feel like I have any outrageous or unrealstic hopes for what Obama can do for us as president. I know he's still human and he's not the savior that some are making him out to be. But what I do know is that he's the first politician to inspire my husband to paint a portrait...of a politician. And he's inspired a whole slue of other artists nationwide to do the same. What I do know is that a veteran of the war stood next to me during that amazing speech, with tears a-twinklin' in his eyes too. What I do know is that it's time for some of that sweet, beautiful, political buzzword we've come to call: CHANGE.

It was a good night. I was proud to be an American.

The next day, Mason's eBay store was abuzz with glorious sales. Citizens from New York to Chicago to Austin to Seattle all wanted to buy their own piece of history, and hang an original Obama portrait on their wall.

All we can say is, Barack Obama hasn't even been sworn in yet, and look at how the profits from our small business have skyrocketed! Obama singlehandedly saved the economy! Obama saved small businesses! Obama saved the arts! Hip hop hooray! Obama for King of the World 2012!

If you live locally and want to buy a print, just let me know and you won't have to pay for shipping on eBay. They're only $20 and they are signed and numbered.

No comments: