
As I put up my new calendar at work this week, I decided to indulge in an old Carly-style tradition: debate with myself for two hours about whether to throw out the old calendar, or to keep it around, you know, just in case. In case of what, you ask? A worldwide used calendar shortage? My question to myself exactly, hence the debate. I did the same with school-issued “agendas” in junior high and high school, my day planner in college, and now with my cubicle wall corkboard-ready office calendar. Will I ever NEED this calendar again? Be able to USE it again? No. Obviously. Those dates and days of the week will not be accurate again until the year 3016 or so, and even then, there’s no room among my hasty handwriting for new entries. So why do I feel a desire to keep it? What is with my need to hold on to this, when I only have ONE already overstuffed closet in my whole house? How much more crap can I really accumulate and store, logistically?
I continued flipping through the months, and as I did so, I realized what a sucker I am for memories. And I also realized that to my dismay, uh-oh, I think I may have actually liked 2008. Nay, LOVED 2008.
So why am I a calendar junkie? I love the memories they contain: tiny, handwritten reminders of good times. And I love how two simple words scribbled in the box for February 24 can make an entire day’s worth of memories vivid and new again: Superbowl @ Susie’s.
And others:
GALLIVAN
gelato w/ Liz
Underoath @ Venue
SATC party!
Sing Mom’s RS 10:20
7 years!
Jackson’s b-day NOON
depart balty 4:30 land SLC 7:29
RELEASE DAY BOO
Putnam County Spelling Bee @ Kingsbury
SPA DAY!!! Breathe
GALLIVAN
gelato w/ Liz
Underoath @ Venue
SATC party!
Sing Mom’s RS 10:20
7 years!
Jackson’s b-day NOON
depart balty 4:30 land SLC 7:29
RELEASE DAY BOO
Putnam County Spelling Bee @ Kingsbury
SPA DAY!!! Breathe
I may have had my reservations about 2008, but it turned out to be an amazing year—one worth tossing in a box and keeping around for a few years, you know, just in case.
I toyed with the idea of compiling 23 different of my own TOP 10 LISTS for the year. My top 10 movies, top 10 concerts, top 10 nights out with friends, top 10 regrettable meal-ordering decisions, top 10 pairs of shoes I bought in 2008, etc. However, the afternoon is slipping away from me. I have groceries to buy and a corn, avocado, and tomato salad with cilantro lime dressing to make before tonight’s potluck dinner party. See? 2009 is starting out fabulously already, but let’s not forget our good old pal, 2008, so quickly.
Even if he is the even man out.
So my next couple of posts will a few lists dedicated to you, old chap.
2 comments:
Carly,
Funny thing is, I've always liked even numbers better! I wonder if it has anything to do with our birth orders?? Like I was #2, and you were #3?? Just a thought!
That totally may be the case, cause I remember that Kenzie loved even numbers too. 8 was her favorite, which is doubly bad for me because it's not only EVEN but also SYMMETRICAL. ICK!!!!
We'll have to ask Ry which he prefers, that will solve our little science experiment.
Post a Comment